PostgeSQL unable to restore database from previous version 7.2 to 7.3

From: Martin_Hurst(at)dom(dot)com
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgeSQL unable to restore database from previous version 7.2 to 7.3
Date: 2002-12-18 20:33:47
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

I created the backup of the 7.2 database, removed the 7.2 database, and
installed the 7.3 database.
When I try to restore into the new 7.3 version, I'm getting this message:

$ psql < backup
FATAL: Database "hurstm2" does not exist in the system catalog.
psql: FATAL: Database "hurstm2" does not exist in the system catalog.

The 7.3 Postgres was created in the eact same location as the 7.2 cluster.
The user "hurstm2" issued the "initdb -D ..." command to created the
cluster.

So what would be causing this type of error message?

Thanks,
-Martin