Re: Table Bloat still there after the Vacuum

From: Chris(dot)Ellis(at)shropshire(dot)gov(dot)uk
To: akpgeek(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Table Bloat still there after the Vacuum
Date: 2010-04-26 15:53:32
Lists: pgsql-general

pgsql-general-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org wrote on 04/26/2010 03:43:03 PM:

> Hi All -
>
> I have a table bloated with following details
> rows:29431 pages:516039 shouldbe:534 (966.4X) wasted size:4223016960(3
GB) *

> I did a vacuum on the database and also I did
> vacuumdb full on the table. Still there is no change. Can you please
> suggest if there is any other operation that can be done to take
> care of the issue
>
> Thanks for the help
>
> Regards

Try a CLUSTER (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/sql-cluster.html)
that will physically rewrite the table.
However note it will require an Access Exclusive lock on the table
preventing any other activity on the table.

Chris Ellis
If you are not the intended recipient of this email please do not send it on
to others, open any attachments or file the email locally.
Please inform the sender of the error and then delete the original email.
For more information, please refer to http://www.shropshire.gov.uk/privacy.nsf
Help prevent the spread of swine flu. CATCH IT. BIN IT. KILL IT.