Re: pl/pgsql oddity

From: Richard_D_Levine(at)raytheon(dot)com
To: "Frank D(dot) Engel, Jr(dot)" <fde101(at)fjrhome(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-general-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pl/pgsql oddity
Date: 2004-12-16 21:18:45
Lists: pgsql-general

Don't get used to Ada. It's almost as dead as COBOL, though I liked it too
for some things. Oracle plsql is soooo Ada-like I've literally cut and
pasted whole Ada routines into Oracle plsql and they work without
modification. PostgreSQL doesn't do parameters and packages, so it is
slightly more work to move stuff from your front-end into your back-end,
but often worth it.

"Frank D. Engel, Jr."
<fde101(at)fjrhome(dot)net> To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Sent by: cc:
pgsql-general-owner(at)pos Subject: Re: [GENERAL] pl/pgsql oddity
tgresql.org

12/16/2004 03:01 PM

"elsif" is the spelling used by Ada. I'm getting rather used to it,
myself.

I'm really starting to like Ada. So "elsif" is fine with me.

As far as alternate spellings being accepted within a language, look at
the Transcript language used by Runtime Revolution (www.runrev.com),
which is a so-called "Xtalk" language (based on HyperTalk, which was
used by HyperCard; and yes, HyperTalk was like this too...)

-- and # are synonyms (comment delimiters)

abbreviated can be abbreviated as abbr or abbrev ;-)

audioClip can be abbreviated as ac

accelKey and acceleratorKey

acceleratorModifiers and accelMods

arm and armed

autoHilite and autoHighlight

recentNames and backList

group, background, bg, and bkgnd

The list goes on and On and ON...

On Dec 16, 2004, at 2:12 PM, Guy Rouillier wrote:

> Michael Fuhr wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 12:27:53PM -0500, Geoffrey wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know of any other language that permits multiple spellings
>>> for the same construct. I'd be concerned with starting such a
>>> precedent.
>>
>> I'd be in favor of making it a bloody law that every bloody language
>> use the same bloody spelling. I'm forever forgetting whether a
>> particular language uses ELSE IF, ELSEIF, ELSIF, or ELIF. Grumble,
>> grumble, grumble....
>
> As a relative newbie to PostgreSQL (but an old-timer to programming
> languages and other DMBSs) I would certainly vote for allowing elseif.
> This is my first encounter of "else" without the terminating "e", and
> that would not be a natural omission for me.
>
> --
> Guy Rouillier

> your

Frank D. Engel, Jr. <fde101(at)fjrhome(dot)net>

$ ln -s /usr/share/kjvbible /usr/manual
everlasting life.
$

Signup at www.doteasy.com