Re: sql type reported for enum

From: rcohen(at)e1b(dot)org
To: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
Cc: dmp <danap(at)ttc-cmc(dot)net>, PostgreSQL JDBC <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-jdbc-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: sql type reported for enum
Date: 2015-08-25 13:45:47
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

done

From: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
To: rcohen(at)e1b(dot)org,
Cc: dmp <danap(at)ttc-cmc(dot)net>, PostgreSQL JDBC
<pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 08/22/2015 07:23 PM
Subject: Re: [JDBC] sql type reported for enum
Sent by: pgsql-jdbc-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org

Yes, this seems like a bug, please report it on github.

Dave Cramer

dave.cramer(at)credativ(dot)ca
http://www.credativ.ca

On 21 August 2015 at 13:03, <rcohen(at)e1b(dot)org> wrote:
I'm willing to go with the idea that an enum is a set of
characters, but the jdbc driver is
not. So, if you attempt to setString(int index, String val) on a prepared
statement for a column
that is an enum, you will get an Exception because the passed in value
needs to be cast.
The problem boils down thus: if one queries the Connection
metadata it will tell you
that an enum column is of type VARCHAR; but if you believe this metadata
and treat the
column as if it were Types.VARCHAR when using PreparedStatments, you will
get an
exception.
So I personally don't care much whether the metadata reports enum
columns as
Types.VARCHAR, Types.OTHER, or Types.FLOAT_19_AND_A_HALF, but whatever
type
the metadata reports should work in a PreparedStatement. Right now it
isn't, and it has
become far, far more difficult to make work tools that examine columns
through the
Connection metadata.

As for DBUnit, it relies on the enum columns being reported by the
metadata as a
Types.OTHER.

My current solution to this mismatch between what the metadata
reports
and what PreparedStatements will accept is to set the connection property
"stringtype"
to "unspecified". It works, but I'm not wholly satisfied.

Ross