Re: Rant to the guiding lights of Postgres [auf Viren

From: Paul Smith <Paul(dot)Smith(at)xcom(dot)de>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Rant to the guiding lights of Postgres [auf Viren
Date: 2004-02-13 11:29:33
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

It seems I have touched a nerve :)

I would like to thank all the people that offered a positive suggestion, I
have tried most
of the suggested solutions (and a few others) but I am not quite where I
want to be. Hence
my original post. I do still have one or two things to try so I am still
optimistic.

It is unfortunate that a few people considered my comments as
non-constructive. Perhaps if
they were to do a few google searches they would find, instead of the
answer they expect,
that many, many other people are in fact asking the same questions that I
am. It is not that
7.5 will have a native win-32 build (though that is very interesting) it
is simply that client server
systems need clients!

Even a cursory glance at the 'official' download pages shows that clients
are *not* even
mentioned. This, I feel, is a serious handicap to anyone thinking
seriously about moving
an existing project to Postgres. Perhaps you disagree, fine, I have no
problem with that.
But I make the decisions concerning my projects with the information I
have available.

I am not saying I will, or will not, use Postgres. Whether I do or not
will make no difference to
your lives, I am simply informing the people that claim to advocate
Postgres, that *I* have
a problem adapting it to *my* project, for the reasons *I* have stated.
Whether you chose
to take them on board, or dismiss them as irrelevant, is entirely up to
you.

Regards,

Paul Smith