Re: Keep-alive?

From: Michiel_Lange(at)actuera(dot)nl
To: <mark(at)nsa(dot)co(dot)il>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Keep-alive?
Date: 2003-10-08 11:27:51
Lists: pgadmin-support

This may very well be a firewall/router thing...
Since the amount of sockets (which are needed for any TCP connection) is
limited, your gateway/firewall may very well delete a socket that has been
idle for a certain amount of time.
There is a ICMP message KeepAlive, which does nothing but send some kind of
ping which keeps the connection alive... You cannot send these messages
outside the application, there would be a new socket made for that, so it
would not help you very much. I think that adding an option to PgAdmin
"send keepalive packages every <##> seconds" would be a valuable
addition...

Michiel

|--------+------------------------------------>
| | "Mark Rappoport" |