furiously yours

From: <rkrk(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: furiously yours
Date: 2001-06-17 12:32:48
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hello again,

I've been playing around with different versions of postgresql, I noticed that if I install the rpms of postgresql7.1 the sorting order become the way I want it. other versions including 7.1.1 and 7.1.2 are similar to version 7.0.3 where the sorting is different then 7.1.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is my understanding that 7.1 rpms where compiled on a machine with LC_ALL=C and this is why it does the sorting differently, now for me to be able to have a newer version that sorts things they way I want them I have to install the srpms and configure, then install on my machine, I tried it with a couple of versions and it worked. I also tried to change the LC_ALL variable before runing initdb on the version 7.0.3 I have it did not work.
my question is the following: is it customary to have this kind of problems with rpms built on different machines?!? Is it better to always install the srpms to be able to keep consistency?!? It is a bit anoying to do installation from srpms, because you will have to change the paths and startup options on the machine manually, but I can not see any other way?!?

thanks,
Rony.