Re: Snapshot as Backup

From: "Matt Clark" <matt(at)ymogen(dot)net>
To: <emurphy1(at)email(dot)arizona(dot)edu>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Snapshot as Backup
Date: 2004-01-13 17:59:09
Lists: pgsql-admin

MessageThe consensus from previous discussions (search for 'LVM' in the
archives) is essentially that it definitely *should* work, some people *do*
use it successfully, but that you *must* test it thoroughly in your own
setup under heavy write load before relying on it.

PG will believe it has 'crashed' when you start it from a restored snapshot,
and PG is designed to recover perfectly well from crashes. If you stop the
postmaster before the snapshot is taken then it will definitely work fine.

Matt