Re: Postgresql slow on XEON 2.4ghz/1gb ram

From: "Matt Clark" <matt(at)ymogen(dot)net>
To: "Wilson A(dot) Galafassi Jr(dot)" <juniorlist(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgresql slow on XEON 2.4ghz/1gb ram
Date: 2003-08-06 14:39:45
Lists: pgsql-admin

A P3 1GHz is probably roughly equivalent to a P4 1.5GHz, so going from dual
P3 1GHz to single P4 2.4GHz would likely be slower in any case. Don't
forget that unless you're talking about the "Xeon MP" then the whole "Xeon"
tag is pretty meaningless for the P4 range.

If you moved to a *dual* P4 setup, then the only obvious reason for a
slowdown would be if the disk subsystem is much slower on the new machine,
or the new machine has a hardware problem.