Re: read this and puke

From: "Graeme Merrall" <gbmerrall(at)aol(dot)com>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Cornelia Boenigk" <c(at)cornelia-boenigk(dot)de>
Cc: "postgres list" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: read this and puke
Date: 2002-06-14 03:34:33
Lists: pgsql-general

> > Last week there was the LinuxTag in Germany, the biggest Linux-event
> > in Europe. About PostgreSQL there was one lecture held by Michael
> > Meskes. At his booth there was one poster with the blue elephant, that
> > was all about PostgreSQL at the LinuxTag;-(
> >
> > For contrast: MySQL had a own booth (the second year) and several
> > MySQL-developers were there all the four days long.
> >
> > So, I think, the presence at such a event is also a way to bring
> > PostgreSQL to the people.
>
> Yes, I miss going those these events. With the dot-bomb, it is getting
> harder and harder to attend these.

Greatbridge [remember them? :)] had a great booth when I attended the
O'Reilly Open Source conference last year. They has pretty much the same
booth as mySQL and they had shirts/CD's etc. Bruce was even there :)

The whole mySQL/pgsql debate bores me stupid, but let's not forget that
mySQL is the *database*, the mySQL that has all the booths etc is 'mySQL AB'
which is a *company*. The closest analog to the mySQL the company
'PostgreSQL Inc' but they merely offer commercial support etc.

If you read the histtory of mySQL you'll know that mySQL was essentially a
company first (TcX Datakonsult AB) while postgreSQL has essentiually
remained in the academic/open source environment. Remember also that it
wasn't that long ago the mySQL was GPL'ed. It's all in the history :)

Cheers,
Graeme