Possible bug in RPM-packaging of PostgreSQL 7.1-1

From: René Pijlman <rpijlman(at)spamcop(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Possible bug in RPM-packaging of PostgreSQL 7.1-1
Date: 2001-04-15 18:44:39
Lists: pgsql-ports

POSTGRESQL BUG REPORT TEMPLATE

Your name : René Pijlman
Your email address : rpijlman(at)spamcop(dot)net

System Configuration
---------------------
Architecture (example: Intel Pentium) : Intel Pentium

Operating System (example: Linux 2.0.26 ELF) : Red Hat Linux 7.0

PostgreSQL version (example: PostgreSQL-7.1): PostgreSQL-7.1-1

Compiler used (example: gcc 2.8.0) : n/a (installed binary RPMs)

After installation of the 7.1-1 binary RPMs, I did a createlang and got an
error message:

>bash-2.04$ createlang plpgsql leren
>createlang: cannot find the file '/usr/share/pgsql/plpgsql.so'
>
>This file contains the call handler for PL/pgSQL. By default,
>only PL/pgSQL is built and installed; other languages must be
>explicitly enabled at configure time.

Please describe a way to repeat the problem. Please try to provide a
See above.

If you know how this problem might be fixed, list the solution below:
I found the library plpgsql.so in a different location (/usr/lib), so I made
a symbolic link:

(logged in as 'root')
>[root(at)lab /root]# ln -s /usr/lib/plpgsql.so /usr/share/pgsql

And then the same createlang command worked fine.

So the problem appears to be that plpgsql.so is installed in a different
directory than createlang expects it.