Re: PostgreSQL flamage on Slashdot

From: Jason Hihn <jhihn(at)paytimepayroll(dot)com>
To: Merlin Moncure <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL flamage on Slashdot
Date: 2003-03-19 15:29:18
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

You make an astute observation that I think should become a strategy of the
advocacy team. That is to portray MySQL as a "hobby" database, but Postgres
as a "production" database. I think this is a very easy stance to take,
since I've always thought that. Anyone caught arguing that MySQL is better
will show how much they don't know about Postgres or real databases.

Also with this stance, the two DB's will be able to cooperate and help
publicize OSS successes without having to cut each other down. Then though,
we must concede that MySQL is "good enough" for at least "armature" (hobby)
usage; and that is another statement that I agree with.

> As for the companion apps, Postgres is much less reliant on external
> tools than other dbs because of the extremely powerful client
> interfaces. I would like to see better dts services and better xml
> support (xml/edi) for adoption by businesses. A win32 port is
> absolutely crucial to start zapping sql server, which has virtually no
> direct competition for 2nd tier database deployments, and also to the
> embedded market which now relies on mysql, access, or FoxPro.

Both win32 and replication are big "requirements". I can delay the win32
requirement for a while, and I can suffer through huge pg_dumps for the time
being. If that wasn't the case, I'd be else where!

> Also, integration with Delphi/Kylix could use some press. This is a
> fantastic rad environment for win32/linux.

I've heard of it, but never used it. I took a look long enough to know that
I'd need to take a longer look later ;-)

-J