Version Numbering

From: Jason Hihn <jhihn(at)paytimepayroll(dot)com>
To: Pgsql-Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Version Numbering
Date: 2002-12-12 22:18:15
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

As we know, most hindrances to OSS adoption are psychological. For that
reason, do you think that maybe 7.4, if it contains native windows support,
should be called 8.0?

Normally, I'm against version inflation, I think Linux 2.6 should be 2.6 and
not 3.0, MSN 8 should be MSN 3, and IE 6 should never have been created, or
at most, version 5.

But I do know it will be no small deal for me when it is available, and
don't I think I'm alone. I can see the headlines now: "PostgreSQL 8.0 - The
best ORDBMS now available on Windows!"

Then after that, all I need is a way to sync the row differences (insert,
delete, updates only) since last sync. If I could 'play' a transaction log
to one or more remote databases, then archive it, I'd be happy. Of course
I'd need Win<->Unix compatibility, because remote machines would most likely
be windows, and they'd be syncing to our unix master server. This is because
most of our clients don't have a persistent link. They sync with us, we
audit, fix, tally, and send it back. At the point of sending it down, all
sites have consistency.
Does something like this exist now? Right now we get all the data, for a few
kilobytes of changes!

Thanks,

PS. We're not using PostgreSQL right now, but I want to be real soon!