Re: pg_restore problem!!!

From: "Nick Fankhauser" <nickf(at)ontko(dot)com>
To: "David Olbersen" <DOlbersen(at)stbernard(dot)com>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_restore problem!!!
Date: 2003-07-22 21:04:31
Lists: pgsql-admin

> To nit-pick, this is a "useless use of cat".
>
> In UNIX-land, simple input redirection will work much better:
>
> psql [dbname and various options] < [filename]

Good point... to elaborate further, the reason I was in a piping mindset is
that with a large database, it also makes sense to compress on the fly to
avoid filesystem size limits, so I usually use this pair of commands for
backup/restore:

pg_dump dbname | gzip > dbdumpfile.gz

gunzip -c dbdumpfile | psql dbname

-Nick