no suitable driver

From: "Nick Fankhauser" <nickf(at)ontko(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-jdbc" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: no suitable driver
Date: 2001-09-11 11:50:33
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi-

I am getting the error message "no suitable driver" from a Tomcat
application that used to work. The change that I made to cause this is that
I originally accessed my database on the same server, but decided to change
the URL to point my application at a database residing on another server.
(Because I killed the DB horribly on the local server... but that's another
story, which is told on the pgsql-admin list...)

Here's a snip of what my connection looked like when it worked:

<snip>
private static final String driver = "org.postgresql.Driver";
private static final String user= "www-data";
private static final String pass = "";
private static final String dbUrl = "jdbc:postgresql:demo"; .
.
.
try {
Class.forName(driver);
connection = DriverManager.getConnection(dbUrl, user, pass);
</snip>

Then I changed the dbUrl string to:

private static final String dbUrl =
"jdbc:postgresql//wetwang.ontko.com/demo";

After recompiling & restarting my tomcat app with *no other changes*, I
started getting the "no suitable driver" message.

Any thoughts about what I've done wrong here?

Thanks!

-Nick

Nick Fankhauser

nickf(at)doxpop(dot)com Phone 1.765.965.7363 Fax 1.765.962.9788
doxpop - Court records at your fingertips - http://www.doxpop.com/