Re: FreeBSD upgrade causes performance degredation

From: "Peter Schmidt" <peterjs(at)home(dot)com>
To: "Sean Chittenden" <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FreeBSD upgrade causes performance degredation
Date: 2001-10-31 20:20:56
Lists: pgsql-admin

Interesting resolution to this issue. First, I was wrong that a fresh
install improved performance; upgrade and new install performed similarly.
Upon examination of database activity while our product was running it was
observed that a call to a specific homegrown function was taking between 1
and 30 seconds to complete, and was being executed many times.

The select in the function included a call to another function. We believe
the second function was being called once for every result row in the first
select. Also, explain indicated that the query plan included a seq scan
whereas the modified query did not.

Old function was something like this:
SELECT COL1 FROM TABLE WHERE COL2 = SP_FUNCTION(ARG, ARG, ARG, ...)

The query was modified so that the call to the second function was executed
as a subselect (and thereby executed only once for all rows in the first
select?):

SELECT COL1 FROM TABLE WHERE COL2 = (SELECT SP_FUNCTION(ARG, ARG,
ARG...))

The modified query takes about a second to complete everytime it's run. It
still is not clear why the original function executes faster on 4.1, and we
know that there are still performance issues with fsync. I have tried to
educate myself on the pro's and con's of running postmaster without fsync,
but it seems safest to run with it on.

Thanks for all of your input!

Peter