RE: Why vacuum?

From: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Why vacuum?
Date: 2000-12-14 03:42:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> But why? I don't know of other databases that need to be 'vacuum'ed. Do
> all others just do it internaly on a regular basis?
>
> What am I missing here?

Plenty of other databases need to be 'vacuumed'. For instance, if you have
an ms access database with 5 MB of data in it, and then delete all the data,
leaving only the forms, etc - you will be left with a 5MB mdb file still!

If you then run 'Compact Database' (which is another word for 'vacuum'), the
mdb file will be reduced down to 500k...

Chris