Bug in CREATE OPERATOR

From: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Pgsql-Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Bug in CREATE OPERATOR
Date: 2000-12-20 08:04:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

As part of our development, one of our programmers created a new database
type, plus operators and functions to go with it. One of the things he did
was this:

CREATE OPERATOR testbit (
leftarg = bitset,
rightarg = int4,
procedure = testbit,
commutator = testbit
);

Notice that this is an ILLEGAL type - the name of the type (from docs) must
only contain these characters:

+ - * / < > = ~ ! @ # % ^ & | ` ? $

However, PostgreSQL 7.0.3 went right ahead and created the operator anyway!!

Now we have a big problem, as the DROP OPERATOR command cannot delete the
illegally named operator.

eg:

usa=# drop operator testbit (bitset, int4);
ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "testbit "
usa=# drop operator 'testbit ' (bitset, int4);
ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "'"
usa=# drop operator "testbit " (bitset, int4);
ERROR: parser: parse error at or near """

We can't delete it!!! I also assume that it was a bug that it could even be
created in the first place...

Chris

--
Christopher Kings-Lynne