RE: slow odbc access....

From: "Francis Solomon" <francis(at)stellison(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: slow odbc access....
Date: 2000-11-29 13:04:51
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi,

> VB6 uses the "jet" interface. I had some similar problems
> not long ago with
> Oracle. They almost scrapped the project until we learned
> how to tune the
> jet engine for the application.

It doesn't have to.
I write apps in VB6 (in common, I'm sure, with other people on this
list) which go VB6->ADO->ODBC->Postgres.
This avoids the JET layer completely and the performance is considerably
better. Yes, you lose some of the built-in JET functions this way, but
... frankly, I've not missed them. I've even forgotten which functions
I've lost. PostgreSQL itself has a rich set of built-in functions that
I'm sure will replace most of these - and for the rest, smart use of
queries and maybe a few extra lines of code here or there in the client
app will make a pretty good substitute.

Incidentally, I've also done VB6->RDO->ODBC->Postgres in the past, and
that works just fine too.

> > Another thing that is peculiar is that while the query is
> being executed
> > that the HDD light on the WinNT client machine goes
> bonkers. It seems that
> > the ODBC driver is caching something on the local hdd. I do
> have the odbc
> > log on but the hdd activity seems to be too intensive for
> that. Does ODBC
> > cache recordsets to local hdds or something like that or is poor
> suspicious
> > me being unfair to poor odbc logs? ;-))

There are two different logs. There's the psqlodbc log (quite
lightweight unless you're running HUGE numbers of queries) which logs to
c:\ and shouldn't have anything but a negligible impact on your disk.
The ODBC Driver Manager in control panel also has a logging option,
which logs a LOT more information and may be responsible for thrashing
your disk. I seem to remember that it also logs to c:\ by default, so
have a look in here for stray log files. IIRC the file is called
SQL.log.

> > BTW, when would the PG 7.1 be coming?

Someone mentioned something about Feb 2001 very recently ...

Hope this helps.

Francis Solomon