RE: access from java does not work in an applet!

From: "B(dot)N(dot)V(dot) Raman" <raman(at)myself(dot)com>
To: "George Koras" <gkoras(at)cres(dot)gr>, "Pgsql-Jdbc(at)Postgresql(dot) Org" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: access from java does not work in an applet!
Date: 2001-05-17 10:45:55
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Thank you George & Everybody else also,

The docs have the required information. I just didn't look in there.. it
seems accessing JDBC within an applet is a bad idea.... Peter Mount has an
alternative...

<quoting docs>
There's several problems here:

You have to configure pg_hba.conf to allow any host (and I mean any) access
to the database. Because under SQL you can't prevent a user from creating
tables (you can only deny to an existing object) you have one hell of a
security hole.
Another security feature with applets that (unless signed) they can only
access the web server they connect to. This means that this is also your
database server. Big security problem.
Not all browsers support the same JDK. Most support 1.1, but some now
support 1.2. Because there are different specifications for JDBC involved
you have a problem. Also it's not easy to detect the versions in a portable
manner.
Not all browsers can download multiple .jar files with an applet
The driver is big (~100K compressed), and some browsers can't handle
compressed .jar files.
The best way to access your database from an applet is to have the applet
talk to a java application on your server, and it uses JDBC to the database.
It's a lot more secure, faster to the user and more importantly more stable.

</unquoting docs>

I'll just do as he says...

Raman.

---