Re: indexes greatly slowing data entry

From: "Tom Burke" <lists(at)spamex(dot)com>
To: "DE Sesa, Michael C(dot)" <michael(dot)desesa(at)exeloncorp(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: indexes greatly slowing data entry
Date: 2002-06-25 19:21:48
Lists: pgsql-general

> I do an automated vacuum analyze nightly. Performance is not increased
> afterward.

I have experienced problems with indexes on varchar columns causing
updates to be very slow. You might also try doing a REINDEX TABLE
command on the relevant tables. I have found this to give a
performance increase for queries/updates, but generally still find
character indexes to drag down insert/update performance.

Tom Burke
Eppend
http://www.eppend.com/