How do I clean up a site from an old version to install anew

From: Adam Smith <adamsmith(at)econ(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org(dot)pgsql-general"(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How do I clean up a site from an old version to install anew
Date: 2004-06-19 12:12:25
Lists: pgsql-admin

I am attempting an install of 7.4.3 on FreeBSD O/S 4.9, apparently
remnants of 7.3.x are scattered around on the disk from (a) previous
ports installation, causing mutex_lock/unlock, libpq.so and other
installation problems. I want to reconfigure and reinstall. How do I
know what, & where all these fragments are located or how do I uninstall
all of them or at least those that should be removed.

Thanks

-- Adam --