Re: [ADMIN] Misplaced modifier in Postgresql license

From: Richard Welty <rwelty(at)averillpark(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Misplaced modifier in Postgresql license
Date: 2003-11-28 23:13:58
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-bugs pgsql-general

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 17:49:47 -0500 Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> The short answer is we have had this discussion before --- repeatedly
> --- and we are not interested in having it again.

ok, fine.

but now i'm going to ask an obnoxious question that occured
to me during the course of this discussion:

What is the actual legal standing of "The PostgreSQL Global
Development Group". is it some sort of actual corporate entity?

if it isn't, then it'd be fairly easily to steal the copyright for all
the code that isn't copyright by Berkeley, simply by creating
a corporation with that name. yes, you could probably beat
it in court, but you'd have to spend the money.

i'd suggest that you need to either 1) incorporate (create
an LLC or an S Corporation or something) or 2) attribute
the copyright to something that actually exists in the
eyes of the law.

richard
--
Richard Welty rwelty(at)averillpark(dot)net
Averill Park Networking 518-573-7592