Re: PostgreSQL 8.0 Feature List?

From: Richard Welty <rwelty(at)averillpark(dot)net>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.0 Feature List?
Date: 2004-08-20 01:24:13
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 10:27:04 -0400 Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com> wrote:
> It was a simple example. My point was that no modern java compiler will
> actually concatenate strings by instantiating and copying. They will
> either do as Thomas suggests, or in more complex examples use .append()

i was trying to drop out of the discussion as it's way off topic, but i must
confess that i've spent the time since last weekend actually learning
more about the issues. i'll put together something on the subject
and probably post a web page for comment. as it happens, there are
elements of truth to both sides of this, and it pays to actually look at
the things you are likely to want to do and think about the best way
to do them rather than just do something in a knee jerk manner.

yes, the example in Haggar is a bit contrived, and my example was
poorly chosen. the stuff i'm about to write up is quite different, and
much more carefully thought out.

richard
--
Richard Welty rwelty(at)averillpark(dot)net
Averill Park Networking 518-573-7592