Re: Possible ODBC driver error

From: Patrick Dunford <a47xxy(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org(dot)pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Possible ODBC driver error
Date: 2001-04-16 05:21:16
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-general

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001 17:18:02 +1200 AD in comp.databases.postgresql.general,
Patrick Dunford said:

>I recently copied five tables to the server using the Postgres ODBC driver
>with MS Access.
>
>The tables can be viewed in MS Access but not using PHP or Zeos Database
>Explorer, which both return the same error message:
>ERROR: Relation 'adweb_servinf1' does not exist
>
>The tables are visible in ZDO and the column names can be viewed. All the
>names of the tables also appear in pg_tables.
>
>Is this a bug in the ODBC driver i.e. it does not make the full entries
>needed in Postgres for it to know about tables?

The problem appears to be (as my sysadmin pointed out) that the ODBC driver
allows mixed cased table names to be created. All other table names created
via other means are full lowercase. Apparently table names are case
sensitive, and Postgres assumes the table name will be stored as all
lowercase.

Patrick Dunford, Christchurch, NZ - http://pdunford.godzone.net.nz/

But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits
of those who have fallen asleep.
-- 1 Corinthians 15:20
http://www.heartlight.org/cgi-shl/todaysverse.cgi?day=20010415
Created by Mail2Sig - http://pdunford.godzone.net.nz/software/mail2sig/