Re: Low Budget Performance

From: "Robert J(dot) Sanford, Jr(dot)" <rsanford(at)trefs(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Low Budget Performance
Date: 2002-10-29 21:57:29
Lists: pgsql-performance

Only if you buy it new. EBay has some great deals these days. My company
just purchased a very nice Quad Xeon w/ 2GB RAM and last year's high-end
PERC RAID controller for under $5K. The external drive array was a bit more
expensive but that is an optional purchase. The 3x9GB SCSI drives that came
with the machine should be more than sufficient to run a greater than small
database server. If you don't want to spend $5K there are Dual Xeon machines
with less RAM and not quite so nice RAID controllers that you can get in the
$2.5K to $3.5K range.

rjsjr