pg_relation_size on partitioned table

From: Japin Li <japinli(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_relation_size on partitioned table
Date: 2022-03-25 12:52:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi, hackers

When I try to get total size of partition tables though partitioned table
name using pg_relation_size(), it always returns zero. I can use the
following SQL to get total size of partition tables, however, it is a bit
complex.

SELECT
pg_size_pretty(sum(pg_relation_size(i.inhrelid)))
FROM
pg_class c JOIN pg_inherits i ON c.oid = i.inhparent
WHERE
relname = 'parent';

Could we provide a function to get the total size of the partition table
though the partitioned table name? Maybe we can extend
the pg_relation_size() to get the total size of partition tables through
the partitioned table name.

--
Regrads,
Japin Li.