Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0

From: "Duncan Garland" <duncan(dot)garland(at)ntlworld(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0
Date: 2006-10-27 16:27:08
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies.

I'm prototyping Postgres at the moment. I've always been an Oracle man in
the past but the current project won't stand the licencing costs etc. I've
picked Postgres because it grew out of a serious product, Ingres, and looks
like a serious, heavyweight offering. I also like what I've seen so far.

I posted the question because some people immediately started going LAMP,
LAMP, LAMP at me. I'm not going to have time to do a serious evaluation of
MySQL and I was hoping you would provide me with some ready made ammunition.

I didn't expect anybody to do a lot of work, but I did hope that somebody
would point me towards some authorative articles on the web. They must
exist.

I do appreciate your replies, they made interesting reading. You all clearly
believe in your product. However, it is a bit worrying that nobody on the
Postgres advocacy mailing list could point me towards any authoratative
material advocating Postgres over MySQL.

(The last thing you want to hear when you have just stuck your neck out for
a product is that somebody just wrote it for fun and doesn't care if anybody
else uses it. It's a bit scary!)

All the best, and thanks for your replies.

Duncan