RE: Closest SQL dialect to PostgreSQL for ERwin?

From: "elein" <elein(at)nextbus(dot)com>
To: "Alex Pilosov" <alex(at)pilosoft(dot)com>, "Ed Loehr" <eloehr(at)austin(dot)rr(dot)com>
Cc: "pggeneral" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Closest SQL dialect to PostgreSQL for ERwin?
Date: 2000-12-28 22:23:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Sorry for answering a really old message...
Since I worked on all of these databases I could
not resist.

Miro-Montage-Illustra was the product that was derived
directly from postgres. It was bought by informix and
re-implemented in version 9.* of the informix server.

ingres was based on a much much much earlier version of
the university code.

The illustra code base is very recognizably postgres.

The dialect of SQL is unique to the ORDBMS crowd. You
can get a pure relational schema from ERWin that will
work, but you have to manipulate it afterwards if you
use any non-SQL92 features. Boy, wouldn't I love to
have a good ORDBMS schema tool... Too bad informix's isn't
good.

elein
ex-ingres, ex-miro/illustra, ex-informix
currently postgreSQL database architect
elein(at)nextbus(dot)com