Re: Tom and Fernando: Status for "WITH RECURSIVE"

From: "Rasmus Resen Amossen" <rresena(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: overholt(at)redhat(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tom and Fernando: Status for "WITH RECURSIVE"
Date: 2003-05-27 00:30:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>I don't have a preliminary
>patch for you as I've been working on getting the non-recursive case
>working first (ie. a plain WITH). I will keep you posted as my progress
>continues.

Do you know if your implementation will support multiple childs for each
node or will the implementation be limited to one link from each node in the
tree (making the tree to a list)?

I mean, given the table below:

NODEID, CHILDID
1 10
1 11
1 12
10 NULL
11 111
11 112
12 NULL
2 21
3 22
21 NULL
22 NULL
111 NULL
112 NULL

-will I then be able to fetch all childs (and grandchilds) for a given node
in the above tree in one single query (fx. getting the whole tree when
asking for nodeid = 1 and all its childs)?
I'm asking because I somewere heard/read that SQL3 (SQL99) does not support
multiple childs (but I hope you will implement the "large" version).

Sincerely, Rasmus