Re: reindex/vacuum locking/performance?

From: "Matt Clark" <matt(at)ymogen(dot)net>
To: <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Rob Nagler" <nagler(at)bivio(dot)biz>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: reindex/vacuum locking/performance?
Date: 2003-10-03 23:44:33
Lists: pgsql-performance

> Also, if you find that you need to run VACUUM FULL often, then
> you need to
> raise your max_fsm_pages.

Yes and no. If it's run often enough then the number of tracked pages
shouldn't need to be raised, but then again...

...max_fsm_pages should be raised anyway. I'm about to reclaim a Pentium
166 w/ 64MB of RAM from a friend I lent it to _many_ years ago, and I
suspect PG would run happily on it as configured by default. Set it to at
least 50,000 I say. What do you have to lose, I mean if they're not free
then they're not tracked in the FSM right?

Of course if anyone knows a reason _not_ to raise it then I'm all ears!

Matt