Batch copying of databases

From: "Tim Mohler" <tamohler(at)nyc(dot)rr(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Batch copying of databases
Date: 2003-03-05 20:26:27
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi all,

I'm new to Postgres, and am not even the DBA for the system. I'm just a
sysadmin trying to make things run faster. Every month, we copy over a 25
million row table from the production server to the reporting server. Total
size is something like 40 gigabytes.

The copy in takes close to 24 hours, and I see the disks being hammered by
hundreds of small writes every second. The system is mostly waiting on I/O.
Is there any facility in Postgres to force batching of the I/O transactions
to something more reasonable than 8K?

Thanks for any advice,
Tim