fwd: parallel PSQL ?

From: "valter m" <maweb(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: fwd: parallel PSQL ?
Date: 2000-11-03 19:42:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Forwarded from Mosix mailing-list.
Is this a crazy stuff?

Mosix isn't useful for shared memory processes (like apache and postgresql)
it simply doesn't migrate such tasks.
You can do a simple connect script that , for example , do a
round-robin connection to the different postgresql servers on the machineS.

-----------------
$dbh = connect_do_db();
---------------
first time it connects to machine1, second time to machine2 ...machineN,
than you re-start from 1, or you can poll the load of the machines and
choose the less loaded machine.

Other points: start only one machine that init the shared mem structures
(the first), not the others (is there a postgres flag to do this stuff). GFS
doesn't implement fcntl that posgres uses a bit.
The file to patch is in backend/storage/ipc/ipc.c, just add IPC_DIPC in
shmget and semget.

This is are my ideas, i've not yet done all the stuff.

If this perform ok, also other similar programs will perform ok.

bye
valter