Server closed the connection unexpectedly

From: "Carla" <carla(at)future-web-solutions(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Server closed the connection unexpectedly
Date: 2004-04-29 01:42:22
Lists: pgsql-novice

This problem occurs when running postgres locally on win2k ,

psql was running ok but now when typing:
c:\>psql psql -d template1
c:\>psql -U username
c:\>psql -l
c:\>psql -e

I still get
psql: server closed the connection unexpectedly
This problem means the server terminated abnormally
before or while processing the request.

I have checked the .pid file on the starting of postgres which is fine and
the log file said that postgres is still running.

I have checked the TYPE, DATABASE, IP_ADRESS in pg_hba.conf
I have checked my host.txt and the IP is correct. In pgruntime.config,
tcpip_socket = true and the port is correct.

I thought it might be a TCP/IP problem but am sure that the -I for TCP/IP
connections is being passed in when starting postgres. pg_ctl is working

If you run psql when postgres is stopped you get the expected error.
The only command I can run is
c:\>psql -V
all other options in psql result in this 'server closed the connection
unexpectedly' error.

Is their something that I am doing wrong, overlooked or not checked?

Carla
---