Re: log_duration

From: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: log_duration
Date: 2005-02-05 23:10:04
Lists: pgsql-admin

>Simon Riggs
> > From: Tom Lane
> > "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> > > On top of a confusing day, I now have this:
> > > I set log_duration = true in a postgresql.conf file.
> > > I startup and test, local users connected via psql:
> > working, no problem.
> > > Users connecting remotely, same user, same database: no
> log of query
> > > statement durations.
> > > There is nothing in the code that sets this value
> > independently for sets
> > > of users (is there?)
> >
> > No. How sure are you that the remote users are really
> > connecting to the
> > same postmaster?
>
> Yes, very definitely.
>
> I'm sitting here watching the Statement: lines scroll up the
> screen for
> the remotely connected users.
> Local sessions show both Statement: and Duration:
>
> Can't see anything in the code that gives any kind of conditional on
> that.
>
> The code is straight 8.0.1, no code editing, but compiled on SUSE.
>
> I wouldn't care, but I'm trying to tune the database, so the missing
> data matters,

Further update on this:

We've isolated this issue to JDBC client access.
When connecting using the latest JDBC driver, we do not get "Duration:"
LOG messages when using log_duration = true.
[driver 8.0-310.jdbc2.jar]

We've tested both localhost connections and remotely connected users
with libpq clients and these do produce the log records for the
"Duration:" as we would expect.

Is this a V2/V3 protocol issue? Or a bug? (If so, where)

Thanks for any help.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs