Inheritance

From: "Announce" <truthhurts(at)insightbb(dot)com>
To: "Postgres Novice" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Inheritance
Date: 2005-09-27 03:36:01
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi, I'm thinking about making use of the inheritance features in Postgres.
This is a big deal to b/c it would confine me to Postgres DBMS (that's not a
BAD thing :-D ).

Is there an easy way to find all current bugs and issues with INHERITANCE
and INHERITED tables (other than a search for 'inheritance')? It sounds
great but i'm worried about reliability, scalability and the plain ol'
unknown. Is there any info out there on what percentage of users actually
make use of this feature. Are there some known sucesses with this in on a
larger scale?

FYI: An simple example of how i would like to use inheritance would be
airport information. There are several regions each with their own schema,
LAX,NYC,STL,ATL,CHI,etc but the core data is always the same. There are
times where I want to view airport data as a whole and but mostly, I will
working with airport data in a particular region, so i would like to simply
inherit from a parent airport table.

Thanks,

-Aaron