Re: Tables not getting vacuumed in postgres

From: "Karthik Jagadish (kjagadis)" <kjagadis(at)cisco(dot)com>
To: Amul Sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Prasanna Satyanarayanan (prassaty)" <prassaty(at)cisco(dot)com>, "Chandruganth Ayyavoo Selvam (chaayyav)" <chaayyav(at)cisco(dot)com>, "Jaganbabu M (jmunusam)" <jmunusam(at)cisco(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Tables not getting vacuumed in postgres
Date: 2022-11-08 13:21:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I didn’t get your point dead tuples are visible to transaction means? Vacuuming job is to remove dead tuples right?

Regards,
Karthik

From: Amul Sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>
Date: Tuesday, 8 November 2022 at 6:39 PM
To: Karthik Jagadish (kjagadis) <kjagadis(at)cisco(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Prasanna Satyanarayanan (prassaty) <prassaty(at)cisco(dot)com>, Chandruganth Ayyavoo Selvam (chaayyav) <chaayyav(at)cisco(dot)com>, Jaganbabu M (jmunusam) <jmunusam(at)cisco(dot)com>
On Tue, Nov 8, 2022 at 6:11 PM Karthik Jagadish (kjagadis)
<kjagadis(at)cisco(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Thanks for the response.
>

> But what I understand that insert update and delete would still work and will not interfere with vacuuming process. Yes we do perform a lot of updates on that particular table which is not vacuuming. Does it mean that it waiting for the lock to be released?

Well, yes, that won't interfere but the primary job of autovacuum is
to remove the bloat, if the dead tuple(s) is visible to any
transaction, then not going to remove that.