Re: the best way? (maybe a PL/pgSQL question)

From: "Robert J(dot) Sanford, Jr(dot)" <rsanford(at)nolimitsystems(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: the best way? (maybe a PL/pgSQL question)
Date: 2001-09-04 03:58:14
Lists: pgsql-novice

okay, i'm trying to implement this now and i think there
is a much easier way to do this but i'm not 100% sure.

i don't think that i need to write a complicated stored
procedure like i described below. what i think that i can
do is to run a big, honkin' select that will return rows
looking like:
ItemID, CostSystemID, Cost

and then insert those rows into the WeeklyCost table.

what i think the big, honkin' select would do is to
join the weeklystats and costtypes tables based on
the StatTypeID. the join would add a calculated column
(i'll refer to that as WeeklyCost from now on) that
has the cost calc as a new column. then the select would
sum up the WeeklyCost for each unique ItemID/CostSystemID
combo.

are my expectations reasonable? if so, is it reasonable
to create a view that does this for all weeks of the
schedule and when i want to update the costs i just do
a select from the view for the week i want? would that
have any issues of running all the calcs for all weeks
when i only want the most recent or would it only run
the calcs for the week i want?

even better, haven't i seen a discussion thread about a
SELECT INTO construct that would do it all in one step
for me?

many thanks!

rjsjr