Exceeding 300 second timeout?

From: "Rich Garabedian" <richg(at)mav-mail(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Exceeding 300 second timeout?
Date: 2003-04-16 13:57:21
Lists: pgsql-php

Hi,

Running into an interesting problem where a time-intensive, php command line
script times-out occasionally. This particular script can sometimes take
over and hour to complete and it does a ton of interaction with our
postgreSQL database. The exact error message is the following:

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 300 seconds exceeded in dbbind.php
on line 17

Line 17 of dbbind.php looks like this:

$t=pg_fieldtype($rs,$col);

I was under the impression that cli php has no timeout, so I'm assuming this
is something with postgreSQL. However, I've been unable to locate any
references to default 300 second time limits with postgreSQL, or php. Is
there any way I can extend this timeout? Or any hints on figuring out why
it's happening in the first place? I would think pg_fieldtype() would return
fairly quickly?

PostgreSQL version:

version
PostgreSQL 7.2.3 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC 2.96
(1 row)

Many thanks in advance,

Rich

For further data, if I look at php config (as shown by running php -i) I see
the following(edited out a lot of lines for clarity)

phpinfo()
PHP Version => 4.3.1

System => Linux linux01.ourdomain.com 2.4.2-2smp #1 SMP Sun Apr 8 20:21:34
EDT 2001 i686
Build Date => Apr 8 2003 14:50:57
Configure Command => './configure' '--disable-cgi'
'--with-pgsql=/usr/pgsql/' '--prefix=/mm/php-cmdline-431'
Server API => Command Line Interface
Virtual Directory Support => disabled
Configuration File (php.ini) Path => /mm/php-cmdline-431/lib
PHP API => 20020918
PHP Extension => 20020429
Zend Extension => 20021010
Debug Build => no
Thread Safety => disabled
Registered PHP Streams => php, http, ftp

This program makes use of the Zend Scripting Language Engine:
Zend Engine v1.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2002 Zend Technologies

Configuration

PHP Core

max_execution_time => 0 => 30