Re: career in SQL/Database administration

From: "Rick Seeger" <rick(at)nettheory(dot)com>
To: "PgSQL General ML" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: career in SQL/Database administration
Date: 2003-09-25 22:03:30
Lists: pgsql-general

> (Anybody with suggestions on what to do with people like this please
> feel free to chime in. :-D)

In situations where the client is not tech saavy or the scope is
ambiguous, we bid high and ask for a 50% deposit. I think the best
scenario is to get the client to pay for a detailed spec so they are
clear on the deliverables beforehand and there are no disputes about
what is in scope later on. In general though, we avoid fixed-rate jobs
if possible (If you're paid hourly, then revisions and scope creep are
good things.)