pgaccess - registration before download

From: "Iavor Raytchev" <iavor(dot)raytchev(at)verysmall(dot)org>
To: "pgaccess - developers" <developers(at)pgaccess(dot)org>, "pgsql-interfaces" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pgaccess - registration before download
Date: 2002-07-16 22:14:14
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hello everybody,

One idea I want to share and ask for opinions.

As pgaccess is about to be released these days as -

pgaccess 0.98.8 preliminary release 1

containing all three groups of patches of Bartus, Boyan and Chris, that
started the whole effort about four months ago (and some other bugs
fixed), I want to ask you what you think of a
registration-before-download mechanism on the pgaccess web site.

The reason to ask for this is because in a way it is very exciting to
work on this project, but I am getting somehow conscious - what is the
net effect from inspiring these people (there are about six people
dedicated to pgaccess and may be four more who help in one way or
another) working on it.

What may be we can do in order not to make it more difficult for people
who just want to download it fast, is to provide a dual possibility -

a] download
b] fill in a form before download

And ask kindly people to do it the b] way, explaining to them why it is
nicer.

The b] way might be completely simple - people just enter their e-mail
address (as identification only) and fill one text field (or click a
check box) with the purpose of the download - end user, tester,
developer, second download, etc. It will not give or require password.
It might provide also an option (via check box and e-mail that requires
reply as confirmation) for subscribing the pgaccess mailing lists.

This will provide valuable feedback - we can even make it public - how
many users pgaccess has, what they use it for, and this way - show if
our effort is worth or are we just having harmless fun :)

Everything must be very transparent.

All best to everybody,

Iavor

--
Iavor Raytchev
very small technologies (a company of CEE Solutions)

in case of emergency -

call: + 43 676 639 46 49
or write to: support(at)verysmall(dot)org

www.verysmall.org