Re: BLOB performance test FYI

From: "Joe Shevland" <jshevland(at)j-elite(dot)com>
To: "Dave Cramer" <Dave(at)micro-automation(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BLOB performance test FYI
Date: 2002-04-17 21:35:57
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Well, isn't it a bit crazy that bytea is the default JDBC BLOB type given the performance issues shown?

The general public that start to pump binary data into a PostgreSQL database are going to be confused if performance is that bad... and that was a grunty server too with bulkloads of RAM, I shudder to think what'd happen to a client.

I mean, generally if you're storing binary data it is for things such as image or document storage (of course there's many, many other purposes), so the binary data wil be large.

Joe