Re: Database File system requirements.

From: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Gerard Samuel" <gsam(at)trini0(dot)org>, "Andrew McMillan" <andrew(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>
Cc: <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Database File system requirements.
Date: 2003-01-06 04:19:54
Lists: pgsql-php

> True. But not sure how to gather all that info for right now.
> To get a more accurate picture, I dropped the one database that is in
> Postgre, stopped and restarted Postgre.
> It seems to be using just over 62M.
> I recreated the database and file usage remains unchanged (looking via
> df -H), the database isn't really that large maybe about 1000 rows of
> data currently.

> Well if its normal for PostgreSQL to need more disk space, looks like Im
> going to have to do a couple of disk to disk copying soon,
> and repartion my HD.

What's taking up all the space is probably several 16MB WAL files -
unrelated to your data size.

PostgreSQL is an enterprise class DB engine, MySQL isn't - you have to
accept that it takes up more room and requires more power. Still, it does
seem a little large for what you have in there? Do you have heaps and heaps
of indexes? Have you run VACUUM FULL? Have you run the reindexdb script?

Chris