Re: Point in time recovery 20020822_01_pitr.patch

From: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "J(dot) R(dot) Nield" <jrnield(at)usol(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL Patch List" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Point in time recovery 20020822_01_pitr.patch
Date: 2002-08-23 04:47:58
Lists: pgsql-patches

> I understand Tom's concerns. We have already talked about this on the
> phone because we anticipated this may happen.
>
> We are one week from beta. I think what we should do is to give
> everyone a day to look over the patch and submit their ideas about it to
> the group. We can then review the possible scenarios we can take:
>
> apply and contine to September 1 beta
> apply and delay beta until October 1
> create a patch file against 7.3 for distribution
> wait for 7.4 and do not distribute

I too understand Tom's concerns. It is a lot of changes in various
important parts of code and it won't have been tested enough, etc., etc. I
say leave it for 7.4. Distributing a patch against 7.3 will be very
difficult to keep up-to-date as the CVS tree changes. Maybe we could look
to aim to have win32 native and PITR for 7.4 and so as soon as they're in,
working and tested we just release 7.4 - why not? I guess maybe the wire
protocol might change as well.

And what about neil's PREPARE?

Chris