Re: performance tuning in large function / transaction

From: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Stephan Szabo" <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>, "MindTerm" <mindterm(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: performance tuning in large function / transaction
Date: 2001-12-14 03:43:59
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hmmm...

I have a database server for a website for which I am 'dedicating' at least
128MB of ram (I could say that it can have 256MB)

I have max_connections 64
and shared_buffers 256
and sort_mem 1024

Is that really small?

I have this SHM config:

options SYSVSHM
options SYSVMSG
options SYSVSEM

options SHMMAXPGS=16384 # 64MB shared mem?
#options SHMALL=1025 # max kb of shared mem
options SHMSEG=256 # 256 shared segs per proc

options SEMMNI=256 # 256 semaphore identifiers
options SEMMNS=512 # 512 semaphores in the system
options SEMMNU=256 # 256 undo structures in system
options SEMMAP=256 # 256 entries in semaphore map

How do you calculate the shared memory required by postgres given the
shared_buffers value???

Chris