Fancy ADD COLUMN

From: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Fancy ADD COLUMN
Date: 2002-12-19 02:14:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Just letting people know that I've mostly stopped working on ADD COLUMN now.

Basically it rapidly got way out of my league!

Problems are:

1. Evaluating default for each row
2. Checking against check constraint
3. Checking against domain constraints
4. Whether or not it's considered an insert (I don't think it should be)
5. SERIAL rewriting

I think it needs to be handled in the grammar/analyzer a lot (create table
style). ie. A list of future actions is built up, etc. so it all gets
passsed thru the normal channels.

Anyway, it's a bit too hard for me, especially when I can only find an hour
a week to do stuff!

If anyone takes it on in the future, feel free to email me and I can back
you up.

I'll keep working on smaller, easily chewed chunks :P

Cheers,

Chris