Re: Option to dump foreign data in pg_dump

From: Luis Carril <luis(dot)carril(at)swarm64(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Option to dump foreign data in pg_dump
Date: 2019-06-28 17:55:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>Restoring content of FDW table via pg_restore or psql can be dangerous - there I see a risk, and can be nice to allow it only >with some form of safeguard.
>
>I think so important questions is motivation for dumping FDW - a) clonning (has sense for me and it is safe), b) real backup >(requires writeable FDW) - has sense too, but I see a possibility of unwanted problems.

What about providing a list of FDW servers instead of an all or nothing option? In that way the user really has to do a conscious decision to dump the content of the foreign tables for a specific server, this would allow distinction if multiple FDW are being used in the same DB. Also I think it is responsability of the user to know if the FDW that are being used are read-only or not.

Cheers
Luis M Carril