Re: Call stacks and RAISE INFO

From: Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Call stacks and RAISE INFO
Date: 2011-10-14 22:04:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Oct14, 2011, at 20:00 , Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> We do transmit the individual parts of a NOTICE separately, so I'd say
>>> suppressing some of them is the client's job. So, instead of a GUC I'd say
>>> we'd need a psql setting ERROR_VERBOSITY.
>>
>> Well, we do have a psql setting as well (\set VERBOSITY). But is Josh
>> using psql?

Yeah, I meant that we could split that into two settings, one for level >= ERROR
and one for level < ERROR. It'd certainly be nice to be able to report progress messages
from functions without seeing all the CONTEXT and STATEMENT noise when running them via
psql, yet still get that information if an actual error occurs.

> Not in this instance, no.

But I still believe this is something that should be done client-side.

best regards,
Florian Pflug