Re: Pgadmin III loses connection with remote database and then hangs for a long time.

From: "Bob McConnell" <rvm(at)CBORD(dot)com>
To: "Tim Uckun" <timuckun(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Pgadmin III loses connection with remote database and then hangs for a long time.
Date: 2011-06-01 12:55:38
Lists: pgadmin-support

From: Tim Uckun

>> I have seen similar problems on routers and switches that were
>> overloaded or misconfigured. Adding memory, or just increasing the
>> number of buffers available might fix the problem.
>
> My router is simply an ADSL modem, I have no control over the
> multitude of routers that are in the way between my house and
> rackspace or linode. My router is probably not that tunable but I'll
> take a look.

I didn't realize you were talking about Internet connections. Once you
go that route, most of the path quality is outside of your control. My
suggestion only applies where the entire path is inside your own domain.

> I should mention that none of my ssh sessions suffer from the same
> issues. I can have an ssh session open for days if I want.

Have you tried tunneling your database connection through an SSH
session, or a VPN? If that is a more reliable path, it might be worth
the effort to make use of it. As a side effect, it would also hide your
work from both curious and malicious outsiders.

> As an aside...
>
> Why does losing the connection lock up the entire application? That's
> the annoying bit, having to launch another instance of pgadmin because
> the first one completely unusable and establishing a second
> connection.

It may just be me, but this sounds like a bug. Have you looked at the
tracker to see if it has already been reported? Since it appears you can
reproduce it reliably, perhaps you should post it there so the
developers can take a closer look at it. If you go that route, I suggest
using Wireshark to capture one or more sessions that lock up the client
and attach the raw capture files onto the bug report. This will help
them identify the actual problem and insure the fix really works.

Bob McConnell