Re: Migrating from MS-Access to Postgresql

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: 'Dino Nardini' <dnardini(at)rivendellsoftware(dot)com>, 'Marc Cuypers' <m(dot)cuypers(at)pandora(dot)be>, pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Migrating from MS-Access to Postgresql
Date: 2002-03-28 13:57:47
Lists: pgadmin-support

-----Original Message-----
From: Dino Nardini [mailto:dnardini(at)rivendellsoftware(dot)com]
Sent: 28 March 2002 13:45
To: Dave Page; 'Marc Cuypers'; pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-support] Migrating from MS-Access to Postgresql

Hello,

I ran into similiar problems when migrating tables from MSSQL to Postgres.
Typically I create table names such as "TableName" and column names such as
"TableID" in MSSQL. If there exists a table called "TableName" and a column
called "TableID" why won't the following query work in postgres:

SELECT TableID FROM TableName

I guess that my question is: why does Postgres muck around with the case?
Double quoting all tables and columns in a database that contains dozens of
tables is far too much work, and I don't understand why I need to drop all
my labels to lowercase in the DB. Is there no way to override this
behavior?

PostgreSQL is doing this as per the SQL spec (don't ask me what part, I'm
just quoting what others have told me). You would get more knowledgable
answers on one of the PostgreSQL lists - all I can really offer is advice on
how pgAdmin can help you (by dropping the case or quoting).

Regards, Dave.